The Hypochondriac (2013)
Argan is a perfectly healthy gentleman convinced that he is seriously ill. He drives his wife, his daughter and his feisty servant to distraction with his reliance on quack medicines until they decide it is time to take things into their own hands with a cunning plan for his most efficacious cure. Roger McGough injects his own brand of silliness into Moliere’s scathing comedy.
- Argan (a hypochondriac) - Christopher Vian-Smith
- Beline (his wife) - Annie Hayes
- Angelique (his daughter) - Lally Hastings
- Beralde (his brother) - Jon Meakin
- Toinette (a mardy maid) - Emma Symes
- Cleante (a lovesick suitor) - Owen Chidlaw
- Diafoirus Snr (a doctor) - Anthony Campling
- Thomas Diafoirus (his son) - Lawrence Dunant
- Dr Purgeon (an eminent enemanologist) - Barry Heselden
- Bonnefoi & Fleurant (a lawyer and a doctor) - Caroline Beckett
- Stage Manager - Siobhan Campbell
- Lighting & Sound Designer - Charles Doyle
- Lighting & Sound Operator - Caroline Doyle
- Director of Silly Ditties - Catherine Ellis
- Composer of Silly Ditties - Dave Hollander
- Set Construction - Charles Doyle, Naomi Liddle
- Set Painting - Emma Symes, Naomi Liddle
- Costume - Caroline Doyle, Lisa Thomas, Naomi Liddle
- Props - Alan Buckman, cast & crew
- Poster - Charles Doyle
- Photography - Phil Gammon
Merci Beaucoup to
The cast and crew of the plays rehearsing next to our melodramatic wailings, Lisa Thomas for frock coat patterns, sewing and support; Caroline Doyle for amazing and tireless work on buttons, braiding and breeches while magically creating waistcoats from scratch; Ellis and Dave for helping with the musical stuff (not my forte); Induja for unpleasant medical devices; my patient and supportive cast, Chaz for helping even when laid low with man flu and, of course, the bar, FoH and box office staff without whom we couldn't put on a show at all.
Some review quotes go here
Reminiscences and Anecdotes
Members are encouraged to write about their experiences of working on or seeing this production. Please leave your name. Anonymous entries may be deleted.
Moliere productions at SLT.
- The Miser (1968) (Bell Theatre)
- Tartuffe (1988) (Bell Theatre)
- The Miser (2004) (Bell Theatre)
- The Misanthrope (2018) (Old Fire Station)