by Simon Gray
Ben Butley's world is falling apart. A university lecturer, he turns to drink as a succession of disasters occur: first his wife leaves and then his protégé, Joey, announces that he is shacking up with a new boyfriend. Against a background of petty university politics and unease about student dissent, Butley greets his foes with a blistering torrent of repartee.
- Ben Butley - Mark Vinson
- Joseph (Joey) Keyston - Chris Dascalopoulos
- Miss Heasman - Robynne Batley
- Edna Shaft - Fiona Daffern
- Anne Butley - Penny Thomas
- Reg Nuttall - Graham Rice
- Mr Gardner - Apatu Storey
- Stage Manager - Matthew Moore
- Lighting Design - Gavin Parker and Dave Hollander
- Lighting & Sound Operators - Phil Downes & Dave Hollander
- Costumes - Lisa Thomas
- Props - Alan Buckman
- Photography - Phil Gammon
Mine Bar for rehearsal space; the cast and crew of The Female of the Species and The Piper (sic); Emmaus for the loan of furniture; Caroline Doyle and Mark Ireson for the bookshelves; Box office, front of house and bar staff and all the volunteers who keep SLT going.
Some review quotes go here
Reminiscences and Anecdotes
Members are encouraged to write about their experiences of working on or seeing this production. Please leave your name. Anonymous entries may be deleted.
- Butley on the Main Stage (now the Bell Theatre) in 1979
- Stage Struck (Bell Theatre) our only other play by Simon Gray