Directed by Will Howard
Othello, a black Moor and general in the service of Venice regarded in high esteem, has eloped with Desdemona, daughter of Senator Brabanzia. Iago, Othello's ensign, aspires to rise in the ranks, but when Othello promotes the Florentine Michael Cassio to the position of personal lieutenant, Iago sets forth on the path of revenge against both Othello and Cassio. An enraged Brabanzia confronts Othello and Desdemona, before Othello is ordered to fight the Turkish fleet, which is invading Cyprus. Throughout, watching from the sidelines, Iago realises he has the perfect opening and enlists Roderigo, a former suitor of Desdemona, to become a pawn in his schemes.
The action moves from these fractious beginnings to rest in Cyprus, where Othello is sent to take the Office of Governor. A temporary peace is gained with the defeat of the invading Turks, and all is set fair.
Making use of everyone around him, Iago's underhand dealings begin so take shape, and one by one Othello's friendships are shaken, loosening his powerbase - until Iago strikes at the core of Othello's world - his wife, Desdemona. But ultimately what is the cost to Iago, and all those surrounding him?
Shakespeare's classic tragedy is a hugely challenging and rewarding piece of theatre, ideally suited to the intimacy of Prompt Corner - ensuring a tense and claustrophobic evenings entertainment.
- Othello, the Moor of Venice - Matt Bartlett
- Desdemona, his wife - Katherine Parks
- Michael Cassio, his Lieutenant - Adam Horwood
- Iago, Othello's Ensign - Jack King
- Emilia, his wife - Marie Hull
- Brabanzia, Desdemona's mother - Jill Goulder
- Lodovico, kinsman of Brabanzia, Senator of Venice - Peter Medd
- Roderigo, a Venetian Gentleman, would-be suitor to Desdemona - Jay Michaels
- Montano, Governor of Cyprus - James Brown
- Bianca, a Courtesan - Anna York
- PA to Director - Paul Fortune
- Lighting Design - Stuart Draper
- Lighting Operator - Emma Connolly
- Sound Design - Will Howard with assistance from Christopher Vian-Smith and Andrew Rickinson
- Sound Operator - Anna York
- Stage Manager - Maggie Kruger
- Set Construction - Paul Fortune, Dave Brown, Liam Campbell
- Fight Co-ordinator - Clive Russell
- Wardrobe - Marie Hull
- Hair - Jay Michaels
- Rehearsal Prompt - Anna Glenny
- Photography - Tim Hinchliffe
Some review quotes go here
Reminiscences and Anecdotes
Members are encouraged to write about their experiences of working on or seeing this production. Please leave your name. Anonymous entries may be deleted.
Have there been other SLT productions of this play? Link to them here.
Or add anything that is related within this site. The author's page for instance or other plays with a similar theme.