Oh, What a Lovely War (1979)
by Theatre Workshop, Charles Chilton and the original cast
Directed by Jill Clark
Text about the play
- The Company - John Adams, Bozena Borzyskowska, Maddy Cordwell, John Harris, Alan Johnston, Sally Lill, Matthew Lyne, Ann Mattey, Adrian McLoughlin, Bruce Murray, Dennis Packham, John Rogers, Mikael Rust, Wally Ross-Gower, Harry Sanders, Richard Thomas, Philip Tong, Annette Wiseman.
- Stage Manager - John Woodrooffe
- Assisted by - Sally Hebberd, Jeanette Hoile, Ann King, Pam Lyne, Debby Parrett, Sylvia Rowe, Kris Swarbrick
- Lighting Design - Stephen Holroyd, Tony Wilson, Peter Boon
- Sound - Geoff Potter, Jane Cooper
- Musical Director - Donald Halliday
- Musicians - Fred Ponsonby (Trumpet), Siobhan Cosgrove (Flute, Piccolo), Jill Winch (Clarinet, Saxophone), Mike Garrett (Percussion), Lynn Jenner (Piano), Donald Halliday (Piano/Organ)
- Production Assistant - Tim Jeffes
- Choreography - Jean Worboyes
- Set Construction - Ray Seaton, Edward Clark, David Maitland, Ray Ellison, John Harris, Clive Prince, Malcolm Johnson
- Wardrobe - Debby Parrett, Jeanette Hoile
- Military Advisors - Alan Grummitt, Dave Harrison
- Graphic Design - Malcolm Johnson
- Box Office Manager - David Bell
'"OH, WHAT A LOVELY WAR" at the South London Theatre Centre attracted packed houses. The way people survive in times of war and the gaiety they create in tragic circumstances came over vividly in Jill Clark's production. Mrs Clark also designed the sets. There was abundant enthusiasm, some excellent performances and overall the show bore favourable comparison with Joan Littlewood's original of 16 years ago. The musical director, Donald Halliday, skilfully co-ordinated matters and the immortal songs touched the hearts of the elderly members of the audience. The cast was to be congratulated for tackling several parts in the course of the evening. It was, in alphabetical order, John Adams, Bozena Borzyskowska, Maddy Cordwell, John Harris, Alan Johnston, Sally Lill, Matthew Lyne, Ann Mattey, Adrian McLoughlin, Bruce Murray, Dennis Packham, John Rogers, Mikael Rust, Wally Ross-Gower, Harry Sanders, Richard Thomas, Philip Tong and Annette Wiseman.
J.M.E. (Croydon Advertiser}
Reminiscences and Anecdotes
Members are encouraged to write about their experiences of working on or seeing this production. Please leave your name. Anonymous entries may be deleted.