There Is a War (2014)
by Tom Basden
When I first submitted this play I really liked it but I hadn't a clue how to stage it.It wasn't chosen for that season but I was asked to resubmit (it). Whilst filling in the form I had an epiphany about the staging, the result of which is the promenade performance you are about to watch.
I have been banging on about this show to anyone who would listen for months. People have been patient, very patient.The cast and crew have listened and then added useful and insightful comments.The enthusiasm and hard work they have all shown has been truly inspirational and I am so proud and grateful. I would like to say a special thank you to David Cox, my A.D., who has been a calm presence and a fount of ideas.
The play is dark and quite hilarious. It could almost be described as an Alice in Wonderland tour of the pointlessness and chaos of warfare. It is set nowhere and nowhen and we follow the main character, Anne, through a nightmare world peopled by increasingly bizarre and disturbing characters.
Caroline Doyle, Director.
- Theseus Stefanatos - Bandsman / Oliver
- Peter Bond - Bandsman / Stewart De Lune
- Dylan Brewerton-Harper - Bandsman / Soloist
- Noah Wright - Bandsman / Military Clown
- Suzy Jacobsen - Person One / Blue Soldier / Luka / Kate / Patient
- Charles Doyle - Person Two / Dean Figg / Iverson / Murray
- Bob Callender - Person Three / Blue Soldier / Big Dave / Nurse Mostmen
- Alex Watts - Person Four / Theo / Dr Moore
- David Gregg - Person Five / Brandon / Griff / Patient
- Catherine Ellis Raku-Evans - Sasha / Dr Holmes
- Anola Chase - Dr Anne Croft
- Adam Crook - Martin Reece / Neil Hill / John
- Matthew Lyne - Colonel Huggins / Field Commander Goodman / Patient
- Alan Buckman - Father Michael / Gordon / Patient
- Siobhan Campbell - Becky Doolan / Joy
- Assisant Director - David Cox
- Stage Manager - Michelle Thomson
- Assstant Stage Manager - Cal Beckett
- Lighting Designer - Chris Gomez
- Sound Design & Photography - Christopher Vian-Smith
- Show Photos - Phil Gammon
- Lighting & Sound Operator - Kathryn Ramsay
- Original Music - Peter Bond
- Set Construction - S&D Scaffolding, Gavin Parker, Jai Campbell, cast & crew.
- Programme - Helen Chadney
Some review quotes go here
Reminiscences and Anecdotes
Members are encouraged to write about their experiences of working on or seeing this production. Please leave your name. Anonymous entries may be deleted.
Have there been other SLT productions of this play? Link to them here.
Or add anything that is related within this site. The author's page for instance or other plays with a similar theme.