The Long and the Short and the Tall (1973)
by Willis Hall
Directed by John Woodrooffe
The action of the play, which is virtually continuous, takes place in the Malayan jungle during the Japanese advance on Singapore in early 1942. It is afternoon and the Japanese are being held by British forces twenty miles to the north.
At this time, the British Far East Command was centred on Singapore, an apparently impregnable fortress, four hundred miles to the south. The Malay peninsula was occupied by British forces, many of them inexperienced and unused to jungle warfare.
- 465 Sgt Mitchem, R - Peter Dawson
- 839 Cpl. Johnstone, E - D'Auvergne Barnard
- 594 L/Cpl MacLeish, A.J. - Brian Scoltock
- 632 Pte. Whitaker, S. - Paul Beech
- 777 Pte. Evans, T.E. - Mike Mawby
- 877 Pte. Bamforth, C - John Harris
- 611 Pte. Smith, P. - Terry Barden
- Japanse Soldier- Tony Damiani
- Stage Manager - Peter Davies
- Assistant Stage Managers - Marjorie Stead, Sarah Saunders, Sheila Pasco & Susan Cooksey
- Lighting - Colin Stokes
- Sound - Christine Wilson
- Set Construction - The Company
- Director's Aide - Deirdre Shaw
- F.O.H. Manager - Ralph Wade
- Hairdressing - Andrew Harris
Some review quotes go here
Reminiscences and Anecdotes
Members are encouraged to write about their experiences of working on or seeing this production. Please leave your name. Anonymous entries may be deleted.
Have there been other SLTC/SLT productions of this play? Link to them here.
Or add anything that is related within this site. The author's page for instance or other plays with a similar theme.