The Last Day of November (1983)
by John Yorath
Designed & Directed by Bruce Murray
This play following the history of the Crystal Palace from its conception to it burning down on "the last day of November" 1936 was initially written by John Yorath to be performed by children...
In the SLTC version adults and children played the roles, each actor perfoming several characters.
Three projector screens were used for slides of the construction & events during the show and the centre screen showed a cine film of the fire that consumed the palace in 1936.
- Alan Faulkner
- Anna Greenburg
- John Harris
- Fleur Hogarth
- Jeanette Hoile
- Jeremy Holding
- Leslie Lidyard
- John Lyne
- Ann Mattey
- Dennis Packham
- Ruth Shettle
- Anita Sollis
- James Winter
- Ann Wright
- Stage Manager - Bill Peters
- Assistants to all departments - Robert Coulden, Hilda Coulden, Lisca Hughes, Terry Fawthrop, Iris Lenny, Linda White & Debby Parrett
- Lighting Design - Peter Boon
- Production Co-ordinator - Ann King
- Lighting Operator - Possibly Ann King, due to changes after programme was printed
- Sound Engineer - Stephen Smith
- Projector Operator - Brian Fretwell
- Production Assistant - Robert Hedden
- Costume Designer - Jeanette Hoile
- ILN, The Patrick Beaver Collection, M.Gilbert, Upper Norwood Library.
- Ivor Mitchell, MRO, Southwark Teachers Centre, Geoff Goode.
- Poster Design - Michael Gilbert
- Fire Equipment loaned by The London Fire Brigade - Camera loaned by Vintage Cameras Ltd - Penny-farthing bicycle loaned by Mr Bowtle of SE24.
- Film extract courtesy of Columbia/EMI and The London Fire Brigade.
Some review quotes go here
Photos from our production which was also performed in The Questors Studio Theatre later the same year
Reminiscences and Anecdotes
Members are encouraged to write about their experiences of working on or seeing this production. Please leave your name. Anonymous entries may be deleted.
See also The Last Day Of November (1984)
This version was taken to the Studio Theatre at the Questors Theatre, Ealing.