The Hot Mikado (2007)
by David H Bell
Directed by Heather French
Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado was originally intended to poke fun at England's Victorian bourgeoisie, who had seized on a fad for all things Japanese. Bowman and Bell took this tale and essentially created a spoof within a spoof.
The Hot Mikado therefore tells the same story... that of the minstrel Nanki-Poo, who arrives in the town of Titipu in search of the girl of his dreams, Yum-Yum. Meanwhile, Yum-Yum's guardian the tailor-turned-Lord High Executioner, Ko-Ko is under pressure from the bloodthirsty ruler of the land, the Mikado, to execute somebody within the next month. Simply because he enjoys a good bit of execution.
Nanki-Poo is so infatuated with his sweetheart that he agrees to have his head cut off in exchange for one month of wedded bliss with Yum-Yum. The deal means that Ko-Ko can then claim her as his own bride once Nanki-Poo is dead and gone. This extraordinary plan then takes another twist when the Mikado makes a surprise visit to Titipu.
Confused? You may be. But the real twist in the tale is Bowman and Bell's amazing, 1940s-style swing interpretation of this classic piece of theatre.
- The Mikado - Bob Callender
- Nanki Poo - Declan Doyle
- Pish Tush - James Hough
- Pooh Bah - Sean Chapman
- Ko Ko - Stuart Draper
- Yum Yum - Caroline Webb
- Pitti-Sing - Seren Edwards
- Peep-Bo - Emma Wilson
- Katisha - Suzanne Wooder
Gentleman of Japan (Male Company)
Ladies of Japan (Female Company)
- Uookku - Anna York
- Rooen - Lauren Senatore
- Sonpusan - Lidia Siemaszkiewicz
- Rooa - Laura Stanton
- Ridya - Michelle Thomson
- Rerisa - Ruth Huggett
- Assistant Directors - Emma Wilson and Seren Edwards
- Stage Manager - Graham Clements
- Assistant Stage Managers - Lauri Morgan and Deirdre Parkes
- Lighting Operator - Induja Bandara
- Sound Advisor - Gerard Johnson
- Sound Operators - Lee Ridgeway and Rachael Lovegrove
- Musical Director - Hannah Morgan
- Vocal Director - Alan Walker
- Costume Team Leader - Jennifer French
- Creative Team - Hazel Hindle, Caroline Doyle and Hans Mudlamootoo
- Backstage Team - Caroline Durant, Alison Dale and Marie-Clair Goswell
- Programme Design - Simon Holland
- Graphics - Matt Ross
- Construction Team - Mike Elliott, Graham Clements, Gavin Parker and Anna York
Some review quotes go here
Photo thumbnails go here with links to larger images.
Reminiscences and Anecdotes
- If the script didn't have an official name for a character, for example "Gent 1", different combinations of the actors real names were fed though a Japanese translator to give them character names.
Members are encouraged to write about their experiences of working on or seeing this production. Please leave your name. Anonymous entries may be deleted.
Have there been other SLT productions of this play? Link to them here.
Or add anything that is related within this site. The author's page for instance or other plays with a similar theme.