Playhouse Creatures (2005)
Directed by Lorraine Spenceley
Performances: Wed 14th – Sat 17th December 2005, Prompt Corner.
The year is 1669 - a bawdy and troublesome time for Restoration London. The theatres have been reopened after 17 years of repression under the Puritans, encouraging a great upsurge in dramatic activity. Of vital importance to the development of drama was the entrance of the first English actresses upon the stage. Five famous figures - Nell Gwyn, Elizabeth Farley, Rebecca Marshall, Doll Common and Mary Betterton - provide us with a moving and often comic account of the precarious lot of a Restoration actress.
- Doll Common - Jeanette Hoile
- Nell Gwynn - Helen Herman
- Mrs Farley - Samantha Golton
- Mrs Betterton - Vanessa Colls
- Mrs Marshall - Kate Monro
- Man Servant - Steve Ellis
- Production Asistant - David Lomas
- Stage Manager - Steve Ellis
- Lighting - Chris Liddle
- Sound - Brian Fretwell
- Wardrobe - Val Williams & Ayako Koyama
- Dresser - Giovanna Zizza
- Fight Arranger - Anton Krause
Some review quotes go here
Reminiscences and Anecdotes
Members are encouraged to write about their experiences of working on or seeing this production. Please leave your name. Anonymous entries may be deleted.
Have there been other SLT productions of this play? Link to them here.
Or add anything that is related within this site. The author's page for instance or other plays with a similar theme.