Directed by Peter Broderick
From the programme
A full version of this play takes about 3 1/2 hours. We think that this stretches the endeavours of any amateur company - and the audience.
Our version is much shortened - yet it still contains the essential Shakespeare and the story. Of the major characters only Fortinbras has been omitted. Other scenes have been shortened but only one line has been rewritten.
This production is as straight as we could make it.....we prefer the audience to embroider it with their own imaginations and interpretations.
- Claudius - Leslie Lidyard
- Gertrude - Ruth Shettle
- Laertes - Roger Dettman
- Polonius - Mike Archer
- Hamlet - Mike Small
- Horatio - Terry Barden
- Marcellus - Paul Keen
- Ophelia - Mary Conlon
- Ghost - Brian Collins
- Rosencrantz - John Woodrooffe
- Guildenstern - Mike Mattey
- Player King - Charles Cheetham
- Player Queen - Christine Wilson
- Player Lucianus - Paul Keen
- Messenger - Jonathan Taylor
- Priest - Jonathan Taylor
- Gravedigger - Mike Mawby
- Osric - Brian Scoltock
- Stage Manager - Brian Field
- Assistant Stage Managers - Sandra Gillon, Christine Crow & Jean Warboyes
- Lighting - Alex Kanarek
- Sound - Gordon Scott
- Wardrobe - Iris Lenny & Valerie Westbey
- Director's Aide - Glyn Putwain
- Photogrphs - Bim Harding
- F.O.H. Manager - Frank Howcutt
Some review quotes go here
Reminiscences and Anecdotes
The programme indicates that the same cast would perform "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" at the SLTC in June that year, no record exists of this taking place.
Have there been other SLT productions of this play? Link to them here.
Or add anything that is related within this site. The author's page for instance or other plays with a similar theme.