'Dentity Crisis/Endgame (2008)
The June double-bill presented two contrasting pieces of 20th Century drama.
Directed by Catherine Ellis
‘Dentity Crisis is an absurdist comedy about the convalescence of Jane, a young woman who has attempted suicide by slashing herself in the thighs. We see Jane struggle to distinguish reality and recognise identities. Or do we? Her Mother, Edith Fromage, brazen coquette and self-proclaimed inventor of cheese, conducts countless (and occasionally incestuous) affairs; her brother appears also to be her father and grandfather; and her psychiatrist, Mr Summers, adds to the confusion by swapping genders with his wife. Just who is having the crisis?
- Jane - Naomi Liddle
- Edith - Anna York
- Robert - Charles Doyle
- Mr Summers - Michael Wilson
- Woman - Carole Coyne
- Stage Manager - Lauri Morgan
- Assistant Stage Manager - Kay George
- Wardrobe - Hannah Gabrielle
- Music - Gerard Johnson
- Set Photographs - Mark Davies
- Props - Alan Buckman
Directed by Jeanette Hoile
Two men, master and servant, exist in a post apocalyptic shelter, with an aged couple inhabiting two dustbins nearby. The two protagonists are mutually dependent, with Hamm the tyrannical older man, blind and crippled, bullying his younger servant, Clov, who suffers disabilities of his own.
Hamm and Clov form a challenging and at times, farcical, double act, with Nagg and Nell interjecting sharp and poignant reminiscences of their own. “Nothing is funnier than unhappiness” opines Nell tellingly.
The play is full of surprises and the tragedy of the situation is offset by a fairly steady tone of burlesque and farce. The play will linger in your memory long after the curtain has fallen.
- Production Assistant - Christopher Poke
- Stage Manager - Kay George
- Assistant Stage Manager - Lauri Morgan
- Wardrobe - Val Williams
- Props Co-ordinator - Christopher Poke
- Props Makers - Val Williams & Kay George
- Metalworkers - Dilys Gane & Mike Elliott
Crew (for both productions)
- Set Design - Charles Doyle
- Costumes - Val Williams
- Lighting - Gareth Barker
- Sound Design - Andrew Rickinson
- Sound Operator - Induja Bandara
- Set Painters - Hazel Hindle & Michael Wilson
- Set Builders - Chaz Doyle, Anton Krause, Christopher Poke, George Collie, Lee Ridgeway, Mark Davies, Gareth Barker & The cast of 'Dentity Crisis.
Some review quotes go here
Reminiscences and Anecdotes