A Day at the Opera & a Night at the Races (1983)
by Mike Schirn
Directed by Ann Parnell-McGarry
Winning entry in the South London Theatre Centre new play competition.
- Crusty - Anne Orange-Bromehead
- Shipton - Dave Edmunds
- Orville T. Wildfly - Malcolm Archer
- Sossonelli - Chris King
- Mrs Ernestine LittleJohn - Julie Thompson
- Baron Von Apfelbaum - Paul Valleau
- Velda - Sue Kay
- Signor Mario Caroni - Simon Vaal
- Assistant Director - Tony Westhead
- Stage Manager - Sarah Hamilton
- Set Design, Costume and Lighting Design - Daniel Dahl & Jackie Pilfold
- Sound - Stephen Smith
- Set Construction - Dillon
- Production Assistant - Cecily Turner
- Wardrobe Mistress - Elaine Inman
- Prompt - Jo Archer
- Backstage & Technical Crew - Michaela Bolton, Antoinette Carter, Nicola Dennis, Meryem Djemel, Dawn Fewtrell, Marisa Fisoli, Sarita Kent, Sarah Morrison, Gaynor Pollard & Deborah White
- Supervised by - Colin Dean & Dennis Persad
- Italian Coach - Franca Fiabane
- Racing Commentary - Robert Booth
"Full Marx for effort"
The long awaited moment has arrived, and this week the winning entry in SLTC's New Play Competition is being presented in the Bell Theatre.
It is "A Day at the Opera, a Night at the Races" by Mike Schirn, himself coincidentally a product of the SLTC Writer's Circle.
The author has hit on the ingenious idea of creating a new Marx Brothers script for living actors. The names are original but characteristic: Orvile T Firefly for Groucho, Sossonelli for Chico, Crusty for Harpo.
Donald Madgwick, The Croydon Advertiser, 7th October 1983
Reminiscences and Anecdotes
Members are encouraged to write about their experiences of working on or seeing this production. Please leave your name. Anonymous entries may be deleted.
Have there been other SLTC/SLT productions of this play? Link to them here.
Or add anything that is related within this site. The author's page for instance or other plays with a similar theme.