The Deep Blue Sea (2012)
Hester Collier leaves the safe respectability of her marriage to an older man for the excitement of a passionate affair with a younger one. The two men could not be more different, but neither seem able to bring her the happiness or love that she needs.
The play opens with Hester's desperate and unsuccessful suicide attempt. Over the next 24 hours, Hester's life changes as lovers, friends and strangers try to help her survive her loss of hope, while she struggles to decide what to do.
- Hester Collier – Rachael Watkins
- Mrs Elton – Maggie Cearns
- Philip Welch – Daniel Paul
- Ann Welch – Ellen Hunter
- Mr Miller – Barry Heselden
- Sir William Collier – Jack King
- Freddie Page – George Collie
- Jackie Jackson – Dominic Howell
- Stage Manager – Jess Osorio
- Set Designer – Alan Buckman
- Wardrobe – Val Williams
- Lighting Designer – Gavin Parker
- Sound Designer – Mark Bullock
- Lighting & Sound Operator – Kevin Leech
- Assistant Stage Manager – Clodagh Reynolds
- Props – Alan Buckman & Val Williams
- Set Builders – Alan Buckman, Gavin Parker, Mark Bullock, Kevin Leech, Matt Moore, Hans Mudlamootoo, Carole Coyne & cast
- Hester’s paintings – Michael Wilson
- Scenic Artist – Hazel Hindle
- Hair & Make up – Francesca Blessley & cast
- Poster Designer – Chaz Doyle
- Programme Designer – Mark Ireson
- Photographer – Phil Gammon
Sincere thanks to the may people who have helped with this production: Nick Avenall and Scott Travis at The Park and Sarah Gamboe-Beresford at The Hope for rehearsal space and generosity in providing this; Val Williams for the gas fire and percolator; Emmaus for generous loan of furniture; Ben Troy at Emmaus for canvasses and Anton Krause for invaluable advice. Many thanks to the wonderful cast and crew for their commitment, support and dedication. Thanks also to SLT Theatre Committee, Carole Coyne, Ron Sales, Tom Hancock, Jess Prestidge, Anton Krause, Mark Davies, Stephanie Urquhart, Lionel Monks, Lisa Thomas, Jess Osorio & the Box Office team, Matthew Lyne & the Bar Staff, the Front of House team & all the Raffle volunteers.
Some review quotes go here
Reminiscences and Anecdotes
Members are encouraged to write about their experiences of working on or seeing this production. Please leave your name. Anonymous entries may be deleted.
Have there been other SLT productions of this play? Link to them here.
Or add anything that is related within this site. The author's page for instance or other plays with a similar theme.